After using location based check-in services I have wondered why there isn’t a simple method to get people together before you arrive to a location. I want a method to invite friends to get together for a drink today after work, go bowling, or go for a hike tomorrow afternoon. This type of activity is not an event — it’s an impromptu gathering and it’s much more casual. I think it would be perfect for Facebook and here’s a concept for how it would work:
- Create a new gathering from the News Feed.
- Set the location, date, time, and tag anyone that you want to be notified. You are limited to creating gatherings within the next two days.
- When you post the gathering anyone tagged will see it in their News Feed and get a notification according to their settings.
- There is no need to respond to the gathering to say you are attending. You can comment on the gathering and everyone else that is tagged can read other comments.
- Show up and have a drink!